Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I can't keep up

Low 80s today, very overcast and gloomy.  Kind of cool feeling.

I watered today, everything I could reach on the back hill.  40+ trees, shrubs, volunteers, new plants.  I used three 150 foot hoses linked together and tried to get everything.  Not just the small saplings and newly planted things, but even the bigger trees planted 4 years ago.

The good news: the multiflora rose and bittersweet are looking pretty crispy and wilted, really limp (it will all come back next year without missing a beat).  Some of the mature silver maples at the top of the hill have dropping wilted leaves.  They'll survive too, but they do look defoliated and sad now.

 I can't believe it's been an entire summer without rain.  A dry April, but then lots of rain up until June 14.  Then it stopped.  Since June 14 we went for days without rain, then got just 4 tenths, and 2 tenths as the month closed.  Then nothing in July till an inch fell in mid July.

Since then a half inch July 23, and now for the last 26 days we have had 2 tenths of an inch.  That's it, in almost a full month: 2 tenths.

I water, and water, and I can't keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment