Thursday, August 12, 2010

What Have I Done??

80 today, but very overcast with a coolish breeze.

On the spur of the moment I decided to move the little sassafras that had been doing so well at the end of the line of buckeyes.  It had been savaged by a rabbit early in spring, but leafed back out and was growing like crazy.  Lots of tiny new leaves, looking good.

I dug it up and moved it to the new garden along the west walk, as the final framing tree at the curve.  I moved the Tradiva hydrangea, previously put there to frame that view, a little forward.  I moved the Russian sage to Meadow's Edge.

All this in mid summer.  The sassafras immediately went into shock and wilted.  What have I done?
Will it recover?  I know I've set it back, but have I killed it??

I did the same thing to the big viburnum prunifolium when I moved it from the spruce berm a couple weeks ago, only worse, I really ripped it out with very few roots, on a hot hot sunny day.  It's been sulking, at least the top leaves have, ever since transplant.  But it might actually settle in...... at times the top leaves look not so limp.

Lots of water for both the sassafras and the blackhaw.  We'll see.

Another sad looking plant is the variegated redbud.  It's a delicate plant, and it went in during the hottest spring and driest hottest summer.  It looks really really bad, you can't even see it against the trees in the background, since its own leaves are so sparse, and brown spotted.

But wait.  What's this?  A new crisp, clean looking pair of leaves has emerged!

Today I also took out a big clump of shasta daisies and a smaller clump of rudbeckia at the patio wall corner, and put in the grape leaf anemone.  Looks very nice there. 

None of this transplanting should be done in mid summer.  This is the time to draw back from the garden and enjoy it, but not mess around moving and planting.  It's bad for the plants, and it's too hot for me.

But I still have so many unfinished plans, with designs still emerging.  We'll be gone for two weeks in September, so I don't want to move things just before we go, and it may be too late in October when we get back.  So I do it now.

By the way, the Birch garden looks good now.  The wild bright yellow coreopsis is reblooming nicely after I sheared it back.  The May Night salvia has decided to rebloom, quite fully.  The small veronicas at the front left edge are blooming well (Bartlett actually sprayed for some kind of fungus).

No comments:

Post a Comment