Saturday, February 4, 2012

Seeds

A cold, clear winter day with sun, but I spent it indoors at the CT Hort Society symposium.  Tony Avent was interesting and had great photos and information on plants and design.

I bought some seed packets on impulse.  Here's what I got and what I might do with them:

Nasturtium 'Moonlight'
I got climbing nasturtiums that will go up a trellis  6 to 8 feet.  Soft yellow.  I'll put these on the half tuteurs in front of the meters instead of the thunbergia balck eyed susan vine.  I might like this softer look better.

And I am getting a 'Carolina Moonlight' baptisia with beautiful yellow spires that will go where the Oklahoma redbud was.  They won't bloom at the same time but I like the idea of different yellow moonlight plants to soften the west side of the house.


Black pansies - Viola witt. 'Clear Crystals Black'

These are a novelty.  We'll see.
I might plant them among the lettuces in the big bowl on the deck, as they are cool weather plants like the lettuce, and should be an interesting color contrast.  Maybe.


Lobelia 'Crystal Palace'

After the lettuces and black pansies go by, put this deep blue mounding lobelia in the center of the bowl.

Then add some of the hot colored nasturtiums around the edges.  An experiment, we'll see how that looks.

 
Linaria 'Fairy Bouquet'

Supposed to look like snapdragons, in multi colors.

I'll put these in the front middle of the Birch Garden.



'Junior' Sunflowers. 
These are compact, only to 2 feet tall.  I'll put some in pots and then pop them into spots in the back garden where color is needed.