Monday, August 13, 2012

Out Planting on a Summer Day

The intense humidity of the past couple days broke and today was a little better.  A sunny summer day in the 80s, but before the heat hit, I was out planting the new shrubs I bought.

I put in the new ninebark from Warner's at the back edge of the Drive By garden.  I actually took out the struggling Picea omorika I had planted in 2011, and put the ninebark in its place.

The little Serbian spruce looked good all last year but when the heat hit in July it started dropping needles and continued to lose them, even when well watered.
Last year, when it looked good
When I dug it up, there was no root growth at all.  The clumps of dirt clinging to the original rootball were heavy.  Very heavy, sodden and clumpy.  It did not look like the spruce had sent out any root growth from the ball that had been in the container.  No growth all year.

So now there is a dark leaved Physocarpus 'Summer Wine' there.  It is supposed to be smaller and compact, compared to the typical ninebark.  And more upright, all good attributes for the back edge of this garden.
photo from Missouri Botanical Garden
I also planted the new buddleia I got from Natureworks.  It is Buddleia Flutterby Grande Sweet Marmalade.  What a mouthful.  Very blue-green grayish foliage and little orange flowers.  Interesting.  The light color of the foliage is nice between the red leaved Rosa glauca and the new dark red ninebark.
photo from Natureworks
It was pretty uncomfortable by the time I got done before lunch, but it felt good to have these new plants in the ground, watered in, and mulched.  Can't wait to see what they look like next year.