Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Reading Round Up

This article about trees in our landscapes really spoke to me. There's an emotional impact, not just an ecological or economic one to living with mature trees.

It made me remember this book I read about the impact of American elm and chestnut trees on building our nation, and then the loss of them. The book was history, not horticulture, but it has stayed with me. A fascinating read.

First the High Line in New York, now the Underline in Florida. Miami is transforming the land below their metro rail into a 10 mile linear park.

I have pre-ordered this book in hardcover and am looking forward to reading it. I used to follow the author's blog, but he took time off to write the book.

Louis Raymond's Garden Journal has some of the most informative, lengthy and rich narrative about growing specific plants. A detailed reference that goes way beyond the usual "plant in well drained soil in sun or shade".

Another detailed guide to plants is Nan Ondra's blog. She only writes once a month on the 15th, but showcases a long parade of what's growing. Mostly pictures, but she has a wealth of personal experience with each plant. I've read her books too.

The Garden Professors changed their address and can now be found here. Always good science about plants, and fun debunking of garden myths and commercial hooey. Their old url "blogs.extension.org (slash) garden professors" is no longer in use.

I can get lost  in Joseph Valentine's garden photography. Just pictures.

He also keeps an occasional journal about his garden at Juniper Hill in southern New Hampshire. I'd love to visit (it has opened for Garden Conservancy in some years, not this past season though.)

The Connecticut Horticultural Society has greatly improved their website finally. Well done. (There's a CT Hort Society trip to Innisfree in mid October. Having just visited this summer, I would love to see it in fall.)

Damn, where'd I put my glasses?


No comments:

Post a Comment