Sunday, January 31, 2016

A Day in Winter

On the last day of January 2016 it was warm enough to do garden chores outside.

The temperature was in the mid 50s, it was sunny, and the ground has not been frozen all winter.

I weeded -- real weeding. I hauled out the kneeling pad and gloves and Cobrahead and tub trug. With everything brown now, I could see the green of turf grass that had invaded border edges and easily ripped it out.

A few shady spots on the north side of a bed were frozen, but most of the ground was just wet and muddy.

I weeded, I pruned a bit, raked some spots, then got bored and sat in the weak sunshine for a while. The air was calm. The sunshine was surprisingly warm facing the sun.

It's supposed to get even warmer in the next few days, and then rain.

This is such a different winter than the past several have been. So much milder. Mild enough to be outdoors doing real gardening in the middle of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment