Friday, December 9, 2016

No Gardening Today

I spent yesterday inside making, baking and decorating Christmas cookies. It is physically way harder than working outside digging, hauling or toting. My back hurts.


These are sugar cookies with anise extract added. Lots of anise -- the recipe calls for a quarter teaspoon and I put a full teaspoon in and a little more. By a little more, I mean three teaspoons. Plus I put anise extract in the icing too.

Not everyone likes the taste or aroma of anise, but my family loves these cookies and refuses to celebrate the birth of our savior without a plate of these in front of them.

I'll mail tins of them out west with the Christmas gifts, and keep enough here too.


It amazes me how strenuous it is to be standing and bending in the kitchen for hours. I'm not this sore when I come in from digging out an entrenched rootball or hacking down bittersweet vines or transplanting large trees.

The kitchen is sticky, my fingers are stained green from colored sugar, and my body aches. The dishwasher died last week and the new one hasn't arrived, so all the bulky tins and trays and crusty bowls have to be washed by hand.

But the house smells so good.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be doing the baking myself today, but I'll have plenty of help for the decorating tomorrow! A Funk family favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decorating seems to be the back breaking part! Glad you have help. How much anise extract do you put in?

      Delete
  2. I'm obedient! I follow directions. 1/4 teaspoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, my, if I did my cookies now, we would have them eaten up by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I packed most of them up to send out west to my sons . . . but a dozen remained. No, wait, there are only 3 left now. Gone! How did that happen? Time to make another batch . . .

      Delete