Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ladies in Red

Cool today, in the 50s.

Sprinkled elemental sulfur around the sourwood and the blueberries, and lime at the base of the new redbud.

I discovered that the Lady in Red salvia that I had planted out in Meadow's Edge last year seeded itself.  It doesn't winter over, but there under the fading perennials and flopping zinnias were some seedlings, quite small this late in the season, but a few were even blooming.

I potted them up, and will keep them, along with the two potted ones I had all summer, on the porch.  Let's see if they winter over there in the protected space.  I do like them, and last spring I had to go to several nurseries before I found two to buy.

I now have 15 pots of Lady in Red!  I f they all survive, I will be able to mass them along the patio wall near the hummingbird feeder.  The two I had were nice, but hardly a visual impact.  15 of them, or even half a dozen if that's all that survives, will look great massed together.

I finally did something with the strip of garden I cut along the west walk --- I had been debating all summer what to put there as the final "frame" as your eye travels from the driveway down the walk to the back yard and garden.  I had considered all kinds of trees for vertical impact.

In the end, I moved the new Tardiva hydrangea to the "frame" spot and I will let it grow tall, maybe not as a standard, but I'll try to prune it to be narrow.  The dusty rose blooms in fall will complement the rusty hue of the Stewartia monadelpha preceding it.
Hardly visible in this photo, the Tardiva is right in front of the irises and should rise up above them.  Then, to fill in the arc of this garden strip, I moved the baptisia that Becky gave me from her garden (it's been moved about 4 times already now).  That will fill in that whole space with nice clean foliage all summer.  Haven't seen it bloom yet, I hope it's a pretty blue.

I moved a couple geums to the front of Meadow's Edge with the others.  Hello, who is this?

I'm anxiously waiting for the Sheffield Pink mums to burst out.  Buds are everywhere, and the plants really filled in to form big green mounds.

After looking wiped out in late summer, the Whirling Butterflies Gaura looks great again.  These are in pots, and I am going to see if they winter over on the porch as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment