Saturday, September 8, 2012

Mornings have been so foggy and damp the past few days, but by noon it burns off and the days have been sunny and summery, in the 80s.

I got a beautiful abelia grandiflora 'Francis Mason' from Kevin Wilcox.  I think I will put it under the smokebush, at the rise of the little berm by the pavers.  It will go where the thyme has petered out and hopefully cascade over the sharp slope of the berm.

This glossy abelia is more chartreuse colored than 'Edward Goucher' which is still doing well in the center front of the Bird Garden.

I like the lighter colored leaves contrasting with the dark smokebush.  In its pot the leaves have bleached a little, but in the ground they should deepen, and I hope they are as glossy and shiny as Edward Goucher.  It will be interesting to see the differences.

I like this solution for the browned out area where the thyme was.