Friday, August 30, 2013

Getting Discouraged

Another morning spent digging out the trench for the stone wall. We need to lay down 3 inches of crushed gravel for the base, but it is a challenge to get that much soil out of the area.

It is still cool, in the high 70s and overcast, but very humid -- well over 60%. So work is sweaty and hard and slow. We took another two cartfuls of soil out back, then Jim had to mow and I pooped out.

This is nuts to try to do this kind of work in late summer when the conditions are so uncomfortable. I should have waited till fall.

We will lay down what we can -- maybe two inches of gravel or less in some of the higher spots. It will be okay. This wall is going to be very low, only a few courses of stacked stone, to a height of less than a foot I think. How much of a base does it need?

Jim asked, mid-shovel, "did the pioneers lay down gravel when they built all those miles of stone walls all over New England? Did they dig a base down three inches or more? Did they?"


I am getting discouraged. But I have to remember there is no rush. We can take as long as we need to get this silly project done.  I hope it's going to be worth it.