Wednesday, January 8, 2014

One Degree

That's how cold it was this morning, just one degree F when I got up. The sun is out and the air will warm, but it's another very bitter day.

The real news, though, is that that after a couple nights of single digit temperatures, the porch is now down to 28 degrees.

Temperatures on the porch in winter have not dipped below freezing before, but it's been very cold for more than a day and the plumbago that I was wintering there is frozen.

It had looked good, with healthy green leaves, although I had chopped it back for winter. Now it is pretty sad looking. I'm not sure the roots survived in the pot.

So I need to put a plumbago on my shopping list for next spring. I love its blue flowers and want it again, but even growing it in a pot and overwintering it on the enclosed porch didn't work.

It's an annual for me.