Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Chainsaws and Chippers

The cottonwood dominated the scene
It snowed all day yesterday and another major snowstorm is expected tomorrow, but the day in between is sunny and bright and cold today.

Bartlett came today to take down the cottonwood on the back hill.

It had grown way too tall. Last summer it was really starting to loom over everything.

It leaned, and within a few years it would drop branches all over and threaten to topple into the yard.

They took it down with a chainsaw, cutting it off at the base, and then carted the fallen wood away by hand to a chipper in the driveway.

For years, when it was still small, I could have lopped that sapling off myself, but I didn't, and now I am paying an expensive fee to have it taken down*.

It was a complicated affair, with a rope tied to the top, careful positioning to make it fall where it would not crush my shrubs or trees, and then of course a heavy duty chipper was needed to dispose of it.

The cottonwood came down easily, although its branches did brush my persimmon nearby as it fell. But only a little, and the persimmon was unharmed.



As the cottonwood was felled, I noticed even more that there are leaning trunks of red maples at the top of the ridge that were semi-toppled in the 2011 storm. They need to come down too, probably. Those are actually at the edge of the road up there, and on town property.



The chipper made short work of the whole tree, chunks of trunk and all.


They took the stump right down to the ground.


I need to clean the bittersweet and multiflora roses out of that area, then I think I'll plant a sapling or two to fill in the open space in the line of trees on the hill.  Cut a tree down, plant a tree . . .


* by all rights, the Common should have paid to take this tree down. It is on common land, and the association is responsible for maintaining all the common areas. But they don't. So I maintain it on my own, planting new trees, removing invasives, trying to create a healthy forest in what had been a disturbed open area left by the builder.

I did ask permission from the board to take the cottonwood down, and they agreed. But I am paying. At least that way I could get Bartlett, rather than having to go through a bidding process and wind up with someone unknown, and I could do it on my terms, with access through my yard. So.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you were able to get it down rather easily.... And yes take one down and plant a new one! Good for you for taking on the responsibility of creating a forest of non-invasives. I know it must take some time but if the association isn't doing it it is good that someone is!!!

    ReplyDelete