Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Example of a Low Wall

Rain, rain, wind and rain today. Almost an inch by midday. It's warm -- in the low 60s. The lawn is suddenly a very vivid green.

So. . .  I'm inside looking at pictures. Found this on Pinterest and immediately knew I need to make a simple fix to the low stone wall that borders the east side of my house.

Here's the example I pinned of how the low border wall should look. A few larger flat rocks jut back into the mulch and give the low wall visual weight and oomph:
found on it's a green life

The edging wall I built has same-size small rocks all lined up too evenly (yes, I am aware my personality gets in the way of effective garden design). I need to duplicate the staggered larger stones in the example and make this wall less uniform.

my first attempt, with leftover stones from the wall I built by the driveway

(the only variation is the cut out for the sprinkler head)


I also need to accentuate the arc shape by extending the wall at either end of the strip to round the curves.

the wall needs to extend further along the right and left curved parts


My low wall came out the way it did because I simply used up the leftover rocks from my main project building a stone wall at the top of the driveway. There really weren't enough to do this side properly.

I know I need more stones.

Another pallet of wallstone from Harken's in East Windsor would be good. It's actually too many for the few rocks I'd use here, but a pallet would give me plenty of varied shapes and sizes to use elsewhere -- like some big flat steppers for the grass by the bridge, which I need more of. And maybe some for a small wall under the dogwood that I am sort of considering, using photoshop to try the idea out.

Yes. More rocks. That'll do the trick.

1 comment:

  1. It looks outstanding friend! I really like how it just accentuates the garden bed in an ever so soft way! PERFECT!! I can't wait to see more! Lucky you with the weather by the way...we got snow yesterday! Happy gardening! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete