Monday, February 22, 2016

Major Wheeler

This was a mistake. I ordered an unusual honeysuckle vine, Lonicera reticulata, (you can read about it here) but the plant that arrived was mismarked. They sent me a trumpet honeysuckle vine, which I did not realize until well after I planted it and red tubular flowers opened up. It dawned on me this was not even close to what I expected.

But, okay.

It might be Lonicera sempervirens 'Major Wheeler', a common red trumpet honeysuckle that is prolific and a hummingbird magnet, but I don't know. The online nursery that sent me the wrong plant, High Country Gardens, also features and sells 'Major Wheeler', so it's logical to assume this is what they sent me.

It's a pretty plant, and grows robustly and I could do something like this inspiration photo I found from Stately Kitsch. If only I had an empty railing or something. 

But I never found a good spot for it. It needs a sunny spot and a structure to ramble on. Where to put it? While I dithered, it sulked in a pot for a year, and did nothing.

In the end I gave it to my sister. She planted it in the ground next to her pool deck and it's thriving.

I've had mismarked plants before -- it happens more than it should. And I've had plants I couldn't find a place for and plants that sulked for me. Usually the compost pile is their fate.

But this time I think the outcome is going to be a success. Major Wheeler looks like he found a home.

2 comments:

  1. Glad he found a good home. I grow l.sempervirens but of course it is always a little too shady anywhere in my garden to grow it well. It does flower and for a fairly long time. Hopefully you will be able to find the honeysuckle you are coveting and plant it this year in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty, I did find the honeysuckle I wanted and it is growing well where old Major Wheeler used to be. So I got the plant I had intended and my sister got a nice red trumpet honeysuckle out of all this!

      Delete