Saturday, April 29, 2017

First of the Season

It got warm yesterday, up in the 80s and humid and the sun came out finally.

I saw the first hummingbird of the season yesterday. I was cleaning the birdbath near the sugar feeder, and a ruby throated male came right up to me and hovered a few feet away and looked at me.

Not my picture of course, but my visitor looked
exactly like this as he hovered and greeted me.

He stayed a few moments, then dipped his wings and flew off without visiting the feeder. I swear he was saying hello, good to see you again, how was your winter, I'll come back when you finish with the birdbath . . . .

Hummingbirds are very communicative and they acknowledge humans. They look at us. They direct their attention to us in intentional ways.

It's not a stretch to imagine the greeting my ruby throated friend just gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment