Monday, October 22, 2012

Sassafras Spectacle

Beautiful day today, high 60s, mostly sunny, only a light breeze. Tom's 32nd birthday today!

Aren't the sassafras trees incredible right now?

These two have gotten so big, so suddenly. There are a few other smaller saplings, and the one tiered sassafras that I think is stressed has lost all its leaves already.  These two large trees are really coming into their own.  My sassafras grove.

And the witch hazel out on the back hill is a yellow beacon.

Sheffield mums and Raydon's Favorite aromatic asters:

I spent this beautiful day cleaning up the geraniums.  I cut them all back.

Must remember to shear them earlier in the summer so by the time fall comes I don't have just bare stems.  Their fall color really is the best attribute, but this year I lost it with too much open bare areas.

And I moved some of the persicaria out from under the lespedeza to distribute it better.

Then I put deer guards around the trees I could reach on the back hill.  I still can't really get to some of them through the tangle of tall weeds.  Where there had been previous antler rub damage to the bark of one maple, water sprouts have popped out all over the wound.

Enough with the chores. This is the season of mums!