Sunday, April 7, 2013

Blown Sideways

After two nice days we got two days of wind. Cold wind. Yesterday and today we were blown about. Temperatures were in the 30s until lunchtime, but then got up into the 40s and 50s in the afternoons --- but even at those temps the wind felt bitter and nasty.

I have to anchor these twig towers better, and then plant the trailing nasturtiums inside soon. They blow over every windy day, so I'll need a better way to keep them from toppling over.

Despite the cold, Jim and I went to Harken Stone in East Windsor and got another bluestone to add to the entrance of the arbor. Boy, they have every stone you could want. We got the exact size for $39 and braved the bitter wind this morning to install it.

Not as easy as I thought it would be! And leveling the one above it was worse. But we got it done. However, the creeping thyme that was so lush around the original two steps is now kaput. I thought I could save it, but it got trashed in the stone setting work.



So I ordered 25 more plugs from Whiteflower Farm and will replant the whole area and fill in the bare spots around the steps and on the berm at the top of the driveway too.  It is Thymus serpyllum 'Albus'.

Remember how pretty the thyme looked originally when it was strewn with rose petals and was blooming in June? That's what I want all over this area again, although the roses are now gone.
Remember this?
June 2009, when it was so lush and had spread so well. It bloomed forever.

Speaking of kaput -- I think the rosemary is as dead as a bag of hammers.

It always looks tired and brown by early spring, but this year every needle falls off when I barely touch a branch. The whole shrub feels like tinder.
Does this look dead to you?
Yeah, me too.
My wonderful winter hardy, beautiful rosemary did not make it this time. I will need to take it out. It did survive winters before, and I loved its mass and shape in this spot, but I was asking too much to have it carry on each winter.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a St. Johnswort. I'd like to try again with Hypericum frondosom 'Sunburst'.  Remember how nice it looked in Meadow's Edge a few years ago?

It had a real bushy rounded shape and blue green foliage. It won't give me the dark mass in winter anchoring this end of the garden, but in summer it will be nice and the flowers are showy.
I loved this St. Johnswort but it was too crowded behind the doublefile viburnum and got too much shade.
It was voles that did it in, though, in 2011.  I'd like to try it again.

There is so much to do outside. And pots to get ready and seeds to think about sowing outside soon, and on and on before all the plant shipments start to arrive. But I can't deal with the wind any more, so I'm staying indoors until it calms down and I'm not blown about so much.