Thursday, April 18, 2013

Goodbye Rosemary

Today was in the 60s and cloudy, with a stiff cool wind that made it feel much colder. Same as almost every other day this month.

But yesterday was an exception -- a fine day, still, sunny and pleasant, up to 70. I loved it, loved puttering around and getting things done, and found my energy. One day only, though. Back to cold and windy today.

I potted up some plants for Pam. Some annuals in containers (the Cherry Swizzle zinnias and a Black Beauty dahlia) for her front porch. And I divided the big ivy that was on the porch. We'll see if that can sit in the top of her bubbler fountain (which doesn't bubble) and "spill" down the sides.

And I took out my beloved Valley Valentine pieris from the east side. I'll take it over to Pam's to replace the fernspray falsecypress that got zapped by snowloads and needs to be taken out. It may do better on her shady patio.
Pink flowering pieris at the bottom of the photo. It never did much, and has yellow leaves.
Too much sun? I hope it will do better at Pam's
I always think of the east side of the house as shady, but it doesn't get shade until 1 in the afternoon. That means there is sun from 7 in the morning until after noon -- six hours of direct sun is not a shade garden!

In the andromeda's place I put in the new zenobia that I got at Broken Arrow.
Where the pieris had been there is now a leafy zenobia. Not the glaucus Woodlander's Blue.
This one is a green leaved form.

The Golden Peep forsythia is such a lovely color, but it continues to die out in the middle as all the others along this border did before I took them out. Take this one out too?
What to do about the dying middle? Take cuttings and plant more in the empty spots?

Today we took out the dead rosemary 'Madeline Hilll'. I will miss its mass and dark form anchoring the end of this border.
That's a dead rosemary. But even crispy fried, the brown needles smelled wonderful.
Goodbye, rosemary.

In its place I planted a Hypericum kalmianum 'Blue Velvet' that I got at Broken Arrow. It should form a dense, bluish mound, very compact and very tidy, with the starburst yellow flowers of all St. Johnsworts. The foliage is fine leaved and is very similar to the blueberries next to it, so I am not liking the lack of contrast. But the flowers and dense habit should make up for its fine leaves.

The leaves are bluish, and should echo the Woodlander's Blue zenobia further down the border.
University of Delaware cooperative extension

Yesterday in the warm, still sunshine I planted up all 25 of the new thymus plugs around the steps to the gravel garden.

I planted several alchemilla mollis at the foot of the air conditioners. They won't screen them -- that's the point, to leave the front of the units open, but they fill the empty spots where the panicum grasses were.

I did some more edging, fixing the curve along the front of the spruce berm (yikes, under the river birch it is impossible to cut out any grass -- the roots!)  I edged the east side when I planted the zenobia.

Edged the front line of Meadow's Edge. Puttered. Did some other stuff.