Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Humid and Springlike

Today was cooler than yesterday, in the 60s, but with a springlike, almost summery feeling of humidity.

It rained a quarter of an inch last night, enough to wet the top dusty layer of soil, and thunderstorms are threatening for tonight.

I pricked out the seedlings from their trays and potted them today:
  Dahlia Black beauty -- almost a dozen and they look hearty
  Salvia Hummingbird -- a dozen, looking good
  Regatta Rose Lobelia -- roots weren't really developed and they were very dry
  Morning Glory Blue Picotee -- only three came up, but they look ok
  Butterfly Weed -- only a few came up, but they are good

I dug out the area where the twig towers are and settled them deeper in the soil so they won't blow away (I hope). Planted Variegated Queen nasturtiums in each, and also at the side of the new arbor, as the kiwi vine won't be big enough this season to climb much. This nasturtium is a trailing type, in mixed colors and I hope I can get it to go up the towers and up the side of the arbor.

I scattered the tiny Lauren's Grape poppy seeds.

I planted the Kintzley's Ghost honeysuckle next to the Japanese maple in front, and added a lot of soil and compost to the bare spots in the kinnikinnik. It had quite a bit of winterburn this year, which I cut off as best I could. Popweed is everywhere in that square and I need the kinnikinnik to spread more.

You can see some of the winterburn here.

The color combo going on in the front is wild. The heath is blooming bright pink and the Angelina sedum is bright gold.

The whole effect is a clashing color riot, but it's the brightest thing going on in early spring right now. I don't think the two gauras on either side  of the green sedums are coming back. They can be finicky.

The star magnolia is opening. Too early, of course. We have no frost in the next 10 days, but we are a month away from the last frost date, and the blooms will turn to mush. Unless the flowering is already over by then.