Thursday, July 25, 2013

Can This Be?

When I woke up this morning it was 58 degrees outside. After all that heat and humidity over the past weeks, it is not just cooler now, it is cold!

Great sleeping weather with the windows open and the quilt on.

When I took my coffee outside to sit and drink a little, I was chilly. There is a breeze, and the air is nippy. I had to go back inside.

Can this be?

Summer can be variable and storms can move through and change conditions rapidly, but the change between our heat wave and this is crazy.

One thing I have noticed lately is the new growth on the variegated sweetgum Silver King. It had struggled so the first year, and then this spring we moved it, and the leaves continued to be small and stunted and brown at the edges.

Then the heat hit and they browned even more. But look now --- how healthy and big those new leaves are!

I am pleased with how this tree is looking, and I think it will fill the area nicely.

Here's the newly planted one I saw at Hollister House Garden in June. They had left the tag on it. It's in more shade than mine.