Friday, September 6, 2013

It Came Out Great

Although yesterday started out misty and damp, it ended in dry, cool sunshine. Exactly 72 degrees.

And although the day started out with much to do on the stone wall, it ended with a finished wall. It came out great.

Three bags of mulch were spread about over the dirt behind the wall, and it looks good.

I transplanted some of the struggling lambsear from its shadier, wet spot along the west walk, and put it at the left corner. I hope in this drier, sunnier corner it will spread and do well.

I moved the little cast iron nymph sitting astride a turtle and put her at the top of the wall. I think she is more visible here.

I'm still not happy with the way the right side ends. It only needs a little adjusting -- either I should stair-step the end or try to make a straight vertical end, but this isn't quite right. Minor adjustment.

And I'm not happy with the steep drop off on the left side either, but don't have any ideas to fix that.

The heart needs to be glued with the stone adhesive that Jim got me. We never did mix up any mortar, just backfilled with dirt and topped with mulch. It's not wobbly, but I don't know how it will all hold up to freezes and thaws and ice. I may have to rebuild next spring.

Meanwhile, it looks great.