Saturday, October 26, 2013

Overnight Frost

Goodbye to the hot pink zinnias
When I woke this morning the annuals were black and the hydrangeas were all limp. The first frost of the season settled last night after yesterday's breezes. Today is sunny and in the low 50s.

So this morning I took out all the zinnias, nasturtiums, the red salvia and the pots on the patio. Everything looks cleaner and neater. The hydrangeas perked back up a little.

It was time for those hot pink zinnias to go anyway. They were clashing with all the fall foliage.

I had to take out the long blooming chocolate cosmos that I liked so much. It didn't look as bad as the other fried annuals, but it was time to go.

In the spot that was opened up where the cosmos had been, I transplanted the gray dogwood, Cornus racemosa, from the meadow.  Actually, I had to move the Blue Velvet St. Johnswort over, then plant the gray dogwood, so it was a bit of maneuvering.
You can barely see the leafy little gray dogwood in front of the tuteur. The hypericum is now to its right.

I have not had much luck with Hypericum, so who knows if moving the Blue Velvet one will do it in now.

And I hope the little dogwood takes. I will want to limb it up quite a bit for this space and keep it from getting weedy and rangy as it wants to do naturally. Here is what a limbed up Cornus racemosa looked like in very early spring at Berkshire Botanical Garden. This will take some work.
In early spring you  can see the pruned and limbed up shape of this gray dogwood.

As I walked about the yard doing chores I got a distinct whiff of burnt sugar. The new katsura? But it has lost most of its leaves already. Could it be?

It was noticeable near the berm, but not near the katsura itself. But it might have just been the general smell of decaying things from the sudden frost. I smelled it later out in the meadow too.

But it was a real cotton candy smell near the berm. I swear it was those few remaining leaves on the katsura.

When I went out to get the paper early this morning, multiple contrails were shooting upward in a V from the east. To the right of this shot there were three more, exploding out from the rising sun. I couldn't even begin to get a picture looking straight into the sun, but what a sight the morning sky was today!